Meet Christy – the Belle on a Budget!
1. My wedding weekend occurred on the same weekend as the release of Star Wars: Episode II. Literally, my soon-to-be hubby sweetly asked permission if he could go see it while decorations at the church were still in progress. Since then, Star Wars “events” have occurred on at least 2 other anniversaries (one more movie and Star Wars In Concert…which was amazingly awesome!!). The next one will occur just a few weeks before the birth of our first child – I may have to take a pass on that one.
2. I managed to escape broken bones of any kind through my entire childhood, and broke the smallest bone there is–my pinky toe–after I’d been an adult for ____ years. (We’ll just leave that age part blank.) 😉 There’s actually a story behind the whole event here.
3. I’m addicted to Downton Abbey.
4. My husband and I waited 13 years before we started our family. They say you can never prepare for a family (which is partially true), but we wanted to be as ready as possible. If we had started early in our marriage, it would’ve been a struggle for sure.
5. I’m a Southern girl through and through. I say “y’all” (plus a lot of other such words that you’d only hear down here), drink tea as sweet as pancake syrup, love to get my hands in the dirt (provided there are gloves available), and I never leave the house without makeup on. That last one may sound vain, but imagine if all the women you saw every day DIDN’T put on their makeup before leaving home!
6. In spite of #5, I’m probably the only Southerner alive that does not insanely love football. On the flip side, when it’s time for basketball season, you may hear me yelling all the way to the street!
7. I was a tenth of a percentage point short of becoming valedictorian in high school.
8. Reading is my favorite hobby next to crafting. I actually used to be a prolific blogger/reviewer once upon a time.
9. Best movie of all time? Gone With the Wind.
10. I used to spend several weeks in the summer with my grandma when I was a teenager. At the time, I thought it was the worst punishment ever because my parents would haul me 2 hours away from home and leave me there, but in hindsight, I wish I’d gotten to spend WHOLE summers with her. We’d cook, garden, take walks, read together, go grocery shopping… some of the best memories of my life. She was a belle on a budget, too. 😉
11. The one college class that I actually ended up liking? Legal Research (taken in the days when I thought I wanted to be a paralegal.)
12. Even though I love my “job” here as a Belle on a Budget, my REAL job is in the health insurance industry.
13. Keeping the creative juices flowing has never been a problem in my family! My mom is a seamstress (mostly children’s clothing), my aunt is a home economics teacher, my dad and brother used to be active woodworkers, and my other grandmother was known to do a little sewing in her day, too!
14. At least once in my life, I plan to celebrate my birthday just like this…assuming that I’m in the mood to be woken up this often (a girl needs her beauty sleep!).
15. I don’t like salad dressing, tomatoes, sour cream & onion chips, or Reese’s.
16. I secretly wish I was a librarian. I think this is partially because I have a dear friend who is one, and I am just flat out jealous! It also stems from the fact that I have close to 1000 books in my house…scary thought!!
17. I shopped at Goodwill and the Salvation Army before it was popular. It wasn’t that I couldn’t afford to NOT shop there. It’s just that I always found BETTER stuff there, and there’s no beating those prices. 🙂
18. Even though I am scared to death of heights, I have been to the top of the Empire State Building and the St. Louis Arch.
19. My husband and I used to go out for dinner and a movie regularly when we were dating and early in our marriage. Now, our idea of a good time is ordering take out and watching a movie at home.
20. Hobby Lobby is my happy place. (Let me just say – it’s hard to be a Belle on a Budget when you’re in close proximity to TWO of them!)